WELCOME TO AFTON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Click here for instructions to sign up for text notifications SMSSchool.pdf
Afton Elementary Mission Statement
The mission of Afton Elementary School is to ensure and celebrate the success of our students. To this end…
*Afton Elementary will provide a safe, nurturing and engaging environment.
*Children will demonstrate success in the core subjects and citizenship.
*Success will be achieved by meeting unique individual needs.
“I achieve success when I do my very best.”
2012/2013 Afton Elementary School Improvement Goals
1. All students at Afton Elementary will improve in writing skills across the curriculum.
- Students will be taught editing and peer-editing strategies to correct punctuation.
- “Step Up to Writing” gives students the tools to visually see the structure of a well-written response.
- “Train Model” is a visual tool used to identify the topic sentence, supporting details, and a conclusion.
- Interactive Writing is used to create a writing piece with the students and teacher working collaboratively.
2. All students at Afton Elementary will improve in reading comprehension.
- Students will be taught to pull key words from comprehension questions and structure a complete, written response.
- Students will be taught to recognize context clues, draw conclusions, and locate answers within text structures.
- Classroom teachers will participate daily in a novel study with a small group of struggling readers. This reading group will provide students with a more detailed approach to the mechanics and structure of a chapter book. Guided reading groups will be used to scaffold struggling readers as they apply reading comprehension strategies.
- The Braidy Doll is a tool to develop oral language using a visual, kinesthetic, tactile language-based manipulative that will be used with our kindergarten and first graders.
Greetings from the Principal
Afton Elementary is a K-3 school located in the heart of Afton,
Wyoming and nestled against the Salt River Range by the mouth of Swift
Creek. Afton Elementary is known for its high expectations, high
academic performance and high levels of parent involvement.
Afton Elementary is blessed with a
tremendously effective team of teachers, specialists and
paraprofessionals who work closely together to insure the success of
each child. Students are grouped for reading and math in ways to best
meet their unique needs. For instance, every day students are
instructed in 87 different reading groups that focus on the skill level
of the group. Group sizes range from 2 to 15 students. Math groupings
are fewer but still the focus is on current student performance and
needs. Generally, about 85% of students score at or above grade level
in reading and math.
To top high levels of achievement off, the most recent climate survey
taken by teachers, students and parents indicates that the learning
environment is exceptional as well. All 6 areas questioned in the
survey averaged scores from over 4 on the low end to almost 5 on the
high end. This was on a scale of 1 to 5.
Afton Elementary parents and volunteers
are the best! What in the world would we do without all the selfless
hours volunteered to our school by wonderful busy people? Over 1564
hours were logged this year from numerous volunteers helping in the
classrooms, promoting Reading Renaissance, helping in the media center,
providing special assemblies, conducting vision screenings, being room
mothers, entering data in to cumulative files, hosting a pumpkin carving
contest, participating in family literacy week, reviewing new books,
decorating birthday boards, handing out snow cones and popcorn,
celebrating great teachers during teacher appreciation week, manning
stations during our field day, etc.
Alan L. Allred, Principal